At St Nicholas C of E Primary and Nursery School, we know that pupils who have a positive attitude towards their learning will make good progress and be successful. Consequently, instilling all our pupils with 'Growth Mindsets' is a key priority for the school and is embedded in our teaching and learning. We discuss and explore the theories of Dr Carol Dweck in assemblies and encourage pupils, staff and parents to invest in these theories.
We want all our pupils to relish challenges, embrace their mistakes as part of the learning process, value the importance of effort, respond carefully to feedback and take inspiration from others. This will help them to achieve and flourish, not only with us, but also in their future lives as adults.
Key aspects of Growth Mindset at St Nicholas:
- We celebrate making mistakes – we can learn from them
- We never give up – perseverance is the key if we are to succeed
- We learn from each other
- We don’t compare ourselves with others
- We challenge ourselves and take risks
- We remember that our brains are making new connections and growing all the time
- The power of ‘YET’